Thursday, May 15, 2008

Be a light in the darkness


I am determined to be a light in the darkness. You and I both know there is a lot of darkness in the world. I am not able to heal the sick, feed the hungry, clothe the unclothed, stop the war, speak to presidents and rulers, or take care of a multitude of problems the world faces. One thing I can do - I can be a light in the darkness. I can smile in the face of adversity because I know it will get better. I can encourage where there is depression and discouragement. I can hug and hold a hand when there is despair. I can hold onto hope for the hopeless. I can show faith where there is no faith. I can say yes when someone comes my way and needs help that I can provide. I can give of myself, my energies, my time, and my love. I can be a comfort. I can be a great listener. I can be strong (not by my strength but by His), I can be gentle (let your gentleness be evident to all the Lord is near - Philippians 4:5). I can love deeply (Above all, love each other deeply -1 Peter 4:8). The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress, my Deliverer; my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge (Psalm 18:2).

I can do this because I have been in that darkness. I lived there for a long time. It is a very difficult place to get out of. Perservere, never give up, look to the light. It is the only way. Have faith. Keep your hope. Pray continually and give thanks in all circumstances. You will not be given more than you can handle, and God will walk you through it. Seek Him always.

No comments: